Milling is one of the most common and most widely used processing methods, and for roughing milling of the various structural components and fine milling is almost by end milling. There are two ways, clockwise and anticlockwise milling, according to the cutting direction. The movement of the cutting edge and work piece is in the opposite direction or same direction, divided into the two kinds of conventional milling and climb milling.Anticlockwise Milling:
Milling direction and feed in the opposite direction (milling against the feed) is anticlockwise milling; chip caused from the bottom into upper, so we also call it as up milling; Since the traditional processing and milling mostly used this way, so we also called it as conventional milling.
Characteristics of anticlockwise milling:
- Chip shape is from thin to thick, and cutter afford force from light into heavy, which may prevent the cutter fracture by the impact.
- Suitable for milling casting black surface.
- Can be used in the old milling machine, no screw invalid gap movement.
- More friction, the blade is easy to blunt, short life.
- Easy shaken, the machined surface is rough, poor machining accuracy.
- The device is not easy to settle, which is not suitable for milling thin parts.
- More energy consumption.
The milling and feed in the same direction (milling with the feeds) called clockwise milling; Due to cutting action is from no-machining face of work piece into down place (chips from thick into thin), so it is called down milling or climb milling.
Characteristics of climb milling:
- Chip is from thick into thin, cutter affords force from heavy into light, easy to cause fracture by impact.
- Not suitable for milling castings, forgings, and the surface of the work piece with fish scale shape.
- The milling machine shall have a gap eliminator, or easy to produce screw invalid gap movement.
- Processing less friction, longer life of the cutter edge.
- Easy chucking, no vibration, and high accuracy of the machined surface.
- The device is easy to settle, it’s suitable for milling long thin work pieces.
- Less feed consumption.
In most of the milling case, in addition to the casting of the first milling and old milling Lo-gap chopping device need to use the anticlockwise milling, down milling is better than conventional milling.